Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Altec A700

  1. #11
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    For my use I guess the amps are not perfect and certainly too much power when you consider the room, but will give it a try and see how it works

    Regarding the LF, do anyone have any experince with the 3154-16? Is it possible to get it to work properly down to 20-25hz or is it not meant for that kind of use? The fs is 25hz and the manual says "low frequencies with minimal distortion" so I was hopeing to tune the box lower than the org 43hz since I don't need that kind of SPL that it's meant for at 40-80 hz. Any inputs?

    Another option is not to use the 700XLF and use either the 3182 or a pair of JBL 2245 I have instead.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec A700


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by taskvig View Post

    Regarding the LF, do anyone have any experience with the 3154-16?
    I've played with the 8 ohm version...it's very impressive.

    Not sure how the higher z would affect things, but I would have no qualms doing what you want to do with an 8 ohm version. Mebbe one of the box experts could chime in here...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by taskvig View Post
    The fs is 25hz and the manual says "low frequencies with minimal distortion" so I was hopeing to tune the box lower than the org 43hz since I don't need that kind of SPL that it's meant for at 40-80 hz. Any inputs?
    Any woofer can be tuned as low as 0.707*Fs in a vented alignment or ~17.7 Hz with these. How loud they will play obviously is set by box size and driver power handling capability. Ideally, dual 3154s tuned this low wants a ~35 ft^3 cab, though considering room gain and their large Xmax you should be able to EQ them flat in-room and still hit DD/DTS reference with ~500 W. Dual 5" vents 15" long should do it and shortening them will raise tuning if you want to experiment.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    I did some calculations my self yesterday and found out more or less the same. The cabinett should be more than twice the size if I should get the woofer to play that low that I want them to, or of course the other alternative, use only one woofer in each cabinet

    EQ is an option that I might try of course, I can get an Vestax GE 62 that might be useful for this even though an PEQ would be better suited than GEQ.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member taskvig's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 28th, 2009
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    I just came home with aprox 500kg (1100 lbs) of Altec

    3xA700 (with 1 extra MR994/909-8A)
    2xA700XLF (unfortunately one woofer is not 3154, seems like JBL)
    2xPS95 monitor 15" coax
    1xPS90 monitor 12" coax
    3x9444 amps
    1x9442 amp
    1x9446 amp
    2x1632 XO

    I haven't unpacked them yet so at the moment I just got an poor picture:

    indexphp?actiondlattachtopic327990attach83659image

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Wow, can't wait to see better pictures!
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Very impressive- a great haul!

    Looking forward to reading more about it. =)

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Wow, great haul.....

    You stated that you are missing a 3154, sell the extra MR994/909-8A and use the proceeds to get an extra 3154.......




    -chris

  9. #19
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Here is a picture of my A700 rig . . .

    3

    A700 mains with N1285-8B networks @ 1200Hz
    A700XLF subwoofers
    custom enclosure with 408-8A for center channel
    Model 4 surrounds
    Model 1012 surrounds
    1268 power amplifier on center & surrounds
    1269 power amplifier on mains
    9444A power amp on subs (active EV subwoofer processor - 100Hz)

    I was part of the team that developed the A700 systems. Jerry Hubbard and his engineers designed the cabinet with a sloped front panel to align the acoustic centers of the HF & LF components (909/MR994A and 515-8G). No crossover network was included with the A700, however, we made the connector panel exactly the size of the standard Altec passive network. The A700 was the final version of the A7 series before production ceased in Oklahoma City. Another version used a 299 HF driver (A800).

    The two A700's pictured are the original units built for introduction in Florida at the NSCA show in 1990. I acquired the A700XLF's separately by trading other stuff.
    Experience is Knowledge

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec A700

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post


    I was part of the team that developed the A700 systems. Jerry Hubbard and his engineers designed the cabinet with a sloped front panel to align the acoustic centers of the HF & LF components (909/MR994A and 515-8G). No crossover network was included with the A700, however, we made the connector panel exactly the size of the standard Altec passive network. The A700 was the final version of the A7 series before production ceased in Oklahoma City. Another version used a 299 HF driver (A800).

    The two A700's pictured are the original units built for introduction in Florida at the NSCA show in 1990. I acquired the A700XLF's separately by trading other stuff.
    Hi .Congratulations on your system.It's a doozy.

    Could you please tell me the diameter and depth of the port holes on the A700XLF.

    Thanks
    .........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.